The Facts About Underage Drinking and DrivingYou already know that drinking while intoxicated is a major offense in the eyes of the law. In most states across the U.S., there is a Zero Tolerance policy with regard to underage drinking and driving. The purpose of such a strict policy is to deter underage drinking and driving. If you are pulled over while driving under the influence, and your BAC level is .02 or higher, here are the consequences you will face in the state of Florida for yourfirst DUI offense:
- Jail – 6 Months Maximum (BAL from .08 to less than .15)
- Jail - 9 Months Maximum (BAL above .15)
- Fine – From $500 to $1,000 (BAL from .08 to less than .15)
- Fine – From $1,000 to $2,000 (BAL above .15) or Minor in Vehicle
- License – Suspended from 180 Days to 1 Year
- Hardship Reinstatement – Complete DUI School Prior to Hardship Application
- Ignition Interlock Device – Up to 6 Months (Hardship Reinstatement BAL above.15)
- Community Service – 50 Hours
- Vehicle Impound – 10 Days
First Drunk Driving Conviction (Note: BAL = Blood Alcohol Level)
You may also face child endangerment charges if you were driving a minor while intoxicated. In addition to the consequences listed above, you will also be required to pay fines up to $1000 and up to 9 months in jail for a first offense, or pay fines up to $5000 and up to one year in jail for more multiple offenses. Florida imposes these strict sanctions in order to deter anyone from driving while under the influence of alcohol.
Whether this is your first DUI or you have had several DUIs, it is absolutely necessary for you to hire a defense lawyer if you want to ensure that your right are protected. Without retaining an attorney you may be giving up certain rights that could function to get your charges reduced or even dismissed.
If you or a loved one is in need of legal representation for a DUI matter, don’t wait another minute - contact us today so that we can evaluate your case and provide the legal counsel and representation you deserve.
You might also be interested to check out my recent article on how a criminal defense lawyer can help you.