Broward and Miami Dade Continue to Rank High on Motorcycle Thefts
The most extensive recent study on motorcycle thefts and accidents was done in 2006 by Progressive insurance. They determined that Fort Lauderdale was about statistically average compared to the rest of the US when it came to motorcycle accidents. Good news! However, both Fort Lauderdale and Miami made the top 10 list when it came to stolen bikes.
Now a more recent study by All State says that Florida is number 3 in the nation for thefts. They chalk some of this up to better riding conditions year round. They also found the five favorite brands of the thieves were (in order):
No matter what the stats say, however, if you want to reduce your chances of adding your bike to the numbers, here are some suggestions from All State's esurance division:
- Lock your ignition (the majority of thefts happen when the ignition is turned off but not locked)
- Lock your motorcycle to a stationary, immovable object
- Lock the forks and disc brakes
- Install a motorcycle alarm
- If group riding, park bikes together
- If garage parking, hide your bike behind a car or large object
- Check on your motorcycle periodically
- Make sure locks are wrapped as tight as possible; slack provides room for thieves to gain access with sophisticated tools.
- Install a hidden "kill" switch
- If selling your motorcycle, don't let unknown buyers go for solo test rides (they may not come back)
If you have been injured in a Motorcycle Accident, or apprehended for theft, we can help. In either case, do not talk to authorities. Insurance claims adjusters and criminal justice types have a job to do, and in both cases, if they do their job well, it will not be good for you. As you undoubtedly know, the insurance companies and the legal system aren't always "fair" when it comes to issues around motorcycles.
Call Eric A. Kay for a no cost, no obligation analysis of your case. Our office has many years of experience dealing with criminal defense and with personal injury law. Eric Kay is a serious motorcycle enthusiast and will handle your case from your point of view.